November 14, 2011
My Real Housewife Confessions
I often get emails from readers who want to know how I do it all. How do I have time for crafty projects and blogging while keeping house and raising my five amazing children? And the answer I keep coming back to is this: I don't do it all. I try to keep things simple. I do what there is time for in the day, and a tiny smidgen more because I like coffee better than sleep. I embrace imperfect homemaking.
My friend Beth just finished a 31 day series called 31 Days of Real Housewife Confessions. It was challenging and encouraging and a whole lot of fun to read! I hear that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I've decided to share a few real housewife confessions of my own:
1. I once accidentally put a dozen eggs in the freezer while putting away groceries. I haven't lived it down.
2. I like to stay in my pajamas until noon. I consider it a perk of the job.
3. I drink much more coffee than could possibly be good for me.
4. My kitchen chairs are sticky. We had pancakes for breakfast 2 days ago and I haven't wiped them down yet.
5. Sometimes when we have guests over who I know read my blog I get really nervous. I have to remind myself that my blog is called imperfect homemaking and nobody expects a mom of five to have a spotless house!
6. I don't believe in yelling at my kids, but that doesn't mean I never do it. I've grown a lot in patience and gentleness since becoming a mommy five years ago, but I still sometimes find myself yelling. I hate it.
7. Sometimes my husband comes home to find I've accomplished some great crafty project, but haven't made dinner. Or even thought about dinner. On those days we normally just have bacon and eggs for dinner.
8. I only bathe my kids when they need it. We don't do bath time every single night, it just never became part of our routine.
9. We are five minutes late for church every single week. You would think we'd just start leaving five minutes earlier, but that has yet to actually happen.
10. Yesterday I treated myself to a Christmas magazine, only to discover that it is the same one I treated myself to a few weeks ago!! Duh.
A Random Giveaway!!!
Because of number 10 in the list above, I've decided to give the extra magazine away to one of my lovely readers. Just leave your OWN real housewife confession in the comments below and in a few days I'll pick a winner at random and send out my extra copy of Style at Home: Favourite Holiday Ideas!
p.s. Many of you have your comment setting set so that I see the words noreply-comment@blogger in place of your email and am unable to respond to your comments. Please read this post by Shelley at House of Smith's and make sure your email settings are such that I can contact you if you win!!! Thanks :)