This is part two in an eight (give or take a few...) part series on staging your home. Click here to read part one.
Kym Tarr from Shoestring Home Staging is showing us how to stage a home for maximum appeal and today the focus is on Living Rooms.
Here is what our living room usually looks like:
And here is the freshly staged space:
What we did:
- Simplified the mantel display
- Removed some decorative items
- Pared down distractions on the bookshelf and china hutch.
- Switched dark dramatic curtains for lighter, brighter ones.
What I wish I'd done before we decided to sell:
- The bookshelf! Doesn't it look fabulous?! When Kym suggested that I move the stereo to the second shelf from the bottom I thought it would look weird and get destroyed by my children in a heartbeat. But the bookshelf looks so happy and tidy now, and the kids haven't even tried once to stick a cracker in the cd tray.
Kym's Tips for staging Living rooms:
- Arrange items in odd groupings such as 3, 5 or 7.
- Use bright colors for accents such as flowers, pillows, throws.
- Arrange furniture in vignettes to create conversation areas.
- Artful placement of mirrors can add depth or dimension. Just make sure you are not showcasing the ceiling!
- Don't block windows, let in the light.
- Use lamps to illuminate dark corners.