Here in my little corner of Canada, summer is long-longed for and fleeting. We want our kids to really experience it, to relish every day, to explore and play and learn and savour the long days and warm buggy nights. Here are just a few ways to dive in and make summer a magical time for the whole family.
2. Make s'mores around a campfire. For even simpler s'mores, use petit ecolier cookies in place of graham crackers and chocolate!
3. Pack small baskets full of grapes and crackers and slices of cheese and have a picnic lunch in the yard.
4. Fill the kiddie pool with water and dish soap and try making giant bubbles with a hula hoop!
5. Learn about the thunder. Read books about thunder to the kids and watch youtube videos so that when a summer storm hits it will be more fascinating than frightening.
6. Grow giant sunflowers.
7. Let the kids stay up late to curl up in sleeping bags in the backyard and talk.
8. Give them a fly swatter and pay them a quarter for every fly they kill in the house.
9. Buy a tie dye kit and dye something!
10. Make grilled pizza.
11. Make cucumber mango salsa.
12. Eat a lot of watermelon.
13. Practice cartwheels on the lawn.
14. Go for Friday evening drives to the ice cream shop or park. Drive with the windows down.
15. Go for Saturday morning walks through the farmer's market.
16. Make homemade "ice cream".
17. Play connect four or dominoes in front of the fan (because those games don't have light pieces or cards that will blow away!)
18. Keep a basket or tote full of basic picnic supplies (blanket, dishes, utensils) so you are always ready for a picnic on the go.
19. Make lemonade.
20. Make sun tea with the kids.
21. Build a makeshift splash pad with a hose and household items like a tarp, pool noodles and buckets.
22.Wash the car together.
24. Make jam (it's easier than you may think!)
25. Encourage water balloon fights!
Thanks for visiting the Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking. Why not leave a comment below and tell me: what is your favourite way to savour summer?