One of my goals for 2013 is to do something creative every single day. It doesn't need to be a big project, in fact it can be as small as arranging some flowers in a eye pleasing way or taking pictures of something I wouldn't normally think to photograph. Here are some ways that I am learning to incorporate creativity into my busy diaper-filled days.
1. Make it a priority. When things get stressful it's easy to start eliminating the non essential things on our to-do list. We think that we don't have time for the tasks that refresh and rejuvenate us. But it is exactly when we are overwhelmed that we need those things the most. So choose to make room for creativity.
2. Surround yourself with beautiful materials. Buy a stack of pretty papers of fabrics or paints or whatever and put it where you will see it often. Let the colours and patterns inspire you and spark your imagination.
3. When you are excited about a project, tackle it right away. So often when I dream up a project I put it to the bottom of an already long list of ideas. By the time I get to it, my vision and excitement for the project is gone. Put projects you are excited about at the top of the list!
4. Leave the dishes undone. I can't tell you how many times I've intended to work on a project after I got the kitchen tidied up from dinner and the kids bathed and off to bed, and then when it was all said and done just collapsed on the couch instead. Leave the dishes in the sink once in a while and create something beautiful.
5. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. Get creative and crafty with the things that need to be done anyways. Sew your daughter a dress instead of buying one (It may actually take less time than it does to take kids to the mall!), arrange dinner artfully on the plate, decorate a birthday cake with some flair.
6. Involve the kids. Sit down at the kitchen table with some art supplies and let the kids come and experiment and create and learn. We show our kids an immense amount of respect when we let them freely create.
7. Make it an event. Later this month I'm having some ladies over for a sewing night. I can't wait!
8. Stop doubting your own creativity. Embrace your own style. Give yourself the freedom to make mistakes. Experiment with materials that are new to you. You are created in the image of a Creator, so create something beautiful today!
What ways do you make time for the creative life?
Thanks so much for visiting The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking! Please take a moment to "like" me on facebook or follow me on twitter.