Homemade Pesto is so easy and delicious and versatile. You can change up the ingredients and amounts to suit your taste and it brings a fresh summer-y taste to almost any dish.
Start by toasting:
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds or pine nuts (traditionally pesto uses pine nuts, but we prefer it with almonds)
In a food processor, combine:
- 1-2 cups of fresh basil leaves.
- 3 cloves of garlic (if you aren't a mega lover of garlic, use less!)
- your 1/4 cup of toasted nuts
- A large pinch of kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup melted butter
That's it! If you want a thinner texture you can blend in some warm water too.
10 Ways to Enjoy your fresh homemade Pesto:
1) As sauce on BBQ pizza (oh my goodness it is good)
2) Mix with chopped cooked chicken and diced bell peppers for a yummy pesto chicken salad. Serve in homemade pita pockets.
3) Mix with pureed cooked white beans to make an awesome dip for corn chips!
4) Add a spoonful while beating eggs with milk to make delicious scrambled eggs.
5) Spread on corn on the cob.
6) Serve a spoonful on top of grilled meats.
7) Spread on subs or sandwiches.
8) Stir into homemade soups.
9) Coat raw baby spinach with it for a simple yummy side dish.
10) On Pasta, silly!
A note about freezing Pesto: Here is the way you are supposed to do it: Omit the Parmesan. Put the pesto in a container with a thin layer of oil on top to keep it fresh and freeze. Add cheese before serving. How I do it: Just freeze it in small zip top bags. Parmesan and all. Easy Peasy.
Thanks so much for visiting The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking. Please consider following me on twitter, liking me on facebook, or signing up for my RSS feed.