My personal rule of thumb for products coming into my home is to use the least toxic product that will do the job well. I also don't like to have a ton of different products that only accomplish one task when I could just have one big jug of vinegar.
So here are 8 things I like to use vinegar for in my home.
1) Mop the floors. A big splash of vinegar in a bucket of mop water is enough to get the floors sparkling clean. Although you can smell the vinegar while you are mopping, the smell quickly dissipates. Sometimes I add a couple drops of essential oil to leave my floors smelling extra fresh.
2) Use it in place of Fabric Softener. I've never really been one to use fabric softener. But I do like to add a splash of vinegar during the rinse cycle when I wash our towels so that they will come out softer and fluffier.
Oh, and as an added bonus? It looks way prettier in my laundry room than a jug of fabric softener would!
3) Use it to clean tea stains out of teapots and mugs. Soak stained vessels in a sink filled with hot water, with a big splash of vinegar and some dish soap. After a short soak, the stains normally come off with a quick wash.
4)Descale your kettle. Put enough vinegar in kettle to cover the lime scale and mineral deposits. Sometimes I add water because I don't want to use up all of my precious vinegar. (Yes, I'm cheap!) Boil the vinegar in the kettle, and then rinse the kettle well.
5)Use it to clean your dishwasher. Last week I shared how to give your dishwasher a really good clean. Click here to read those instructions.
6) Use it to clean your microwave. Microwaving a bowl of vinegar will loosen the dirt and grime inside your microwave, making cleaning it much easier. Click here to read my post about cleaning your microwave.
7) Clean the toilet. Until recently, I used store bough toilet cleaners because I liked the fancy neck design that allowed me to apply the cleaner right below the rim. And then one day, when I was out of toilet cleaner, it occurred to me that my trusty spray bottle of vinegar could get the vinegar right up under the rim too! I spray under the rim all around the toilet, let it sit for a few moments, and then give the toilet a quick scrub with the toilet brush.
8) De-stinkify drains. (de-stinkify is a word, right?) Sprinkle some baking soda down your drains and then follow it up with a cup or so of warm vinegar. This is a great task to do immediately after cleaning your microwave or kettle because those tasks left you with a bunch of warm vinegar anyways!
Do you have a great use for vinegar that I didn't mention? Please share it with us in the comments below!