When I was pregnant with my twins I read that it takes about 10 hours a day to breastfeed twins. That's a lie. It takes at least 23 and a half hours.
In all seriousness, breastfeeding is a big part of a nursing momma's day. Even with only one baby, it is a precious, priceless and time consuming job.
So I decided to set up a little nursing corner to make things a little simpler and organized.
I stashed some receiving blankets, breast pads and other supplies in a cute basket beside my favorite chair.
I added a stack of books I'm reading, my bible, my journal and a chapter book that I like to read to the children during the mid morning feeding.
Some things you may want in your nursing corner:
- a favorite chair and a lamp
- breast pads, nipple cream, receiving blankets
- your nursing pillow, or any pillow to prop baby up a little
- a favorite blankie for you
- a place to set down a cup of tea
- your laptop so you can browse Pinterest during midnight feedings (pretty much my favorite past time lately)
- some favorite decor items to create a nice atmosphere...you may be spending a lot of time in this spot!!
- the television remote, a stereo, the telephone, anything you often wish was in reach while nursing your precious bundle of joy!
There is one more thing I would like to mention. While reading and surfing the internet and watching television might be a nice way to spend some of your feedings, don't forget to sometimes just sit and rest and quietly and enjoy your baby. Right now, in the midst of it all, nursing our babies may seem like a common and ordinary task. But really it is an amazing and fleeting gift. Take the time to bond with your baby, to talk and sing to her/him. Nothing on Pinterest can begin to compete with that miracle you are holding.
Please leave a comment and introduce yourself. Are you breastfeeding a baby these days (or two?) How is it going? Do you have a favorite spot to nurse when you are at home?