I don't have it all together, I promise. Some days I want to savour every moment because I know that the days are long but the years are short and before I know it my six little children will be all grown up. Other days I just want to survive until my husband comes through the door with a take-out rotisserie chicken and bagged salad for dinner. Motherhood is a beautiful, messy, terrifying, exhausting, glorious and heart-wrenching calling that requires more from us than we ever knew we had. And we wouldn't trade it for the world, would we?
Here are a few of the ways I pause to breathe deep and remind myself why I chose to raise this sticky fingered army in the first place.
1. Sit down on the floor and let the little ones climb all over you. Cuddle, tickle, colour in a princess colouring book, breathe deep and relax.
2. Light a candle (out of reach of little hands) and give thanks.
3. Take a picture of the mess and maybe the little hands making it. Somehow it's easier to see the beauty and life in the mess through the lens of a camera.
4. Go outside barefoot. (Weather permitting.) Just being in the backyard with your bare feet in the grass while kids run and play around you is refreshing to the soul.
6. Remove something from your to-do list. Be it a mental or actual list, something can go.
7. Remind yourself that your parents didn't have it all together (really, I promise they didn't) and you turned out fine (we've all had some bumps along the road, but they don't make us who we are.) Show yourself some grace.
8. Resolve not to speak when you are angry. Don't make any major decisions when you are frustrated. Make tea instead.
9. Turn off the computer. It's tempting to tune out and browse facebook or pinterest,, but when I turn off the computer and focus more on my kids I am always glad that I did. (and so are they!)
10. Plan a break. A few weeks ago hubby and I were both feeling overwhelmed and it only took a quiet hour in a book store and a couple vanilla lattes to leave us refreshed and ready to dive back in to our crazy loud busy life.
May you be blessed today in the midst of the chaos with the certainly that it is exactly where you are meant to be.